It's not always easy to find children's books for 6-year-olds, especially since the age group is coupled with 7 and 8-year-olds. A lot of reading development happens in these few years, and kids all learn to read at different paces.
Children's books for 6-year-olds typically focus on short sentences, easy words, and simple topics. Think graphic and picture books. Kids in first grade are really just starting to string multiple words together. Most of the time, 6-year-olds are not reading chapter books, although some are.
However, by 7 and 8, chapter books are more common, and kids are getting into longer stories and more complicated ideas.
Here's a list of popular books for each age in the range:
- Best Books for 6-Year-Olds:
- The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
- Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
- Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
- Best Books for 7-Year-Olds:
- Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
- 5,000 Awesome Facts (About Everything!) by National Geographic Kids
- Amelia Bedelia by Herman Parish
- Best Books for 8-Year-Olds:
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
- Aven Green Sleuthing Machine by Dusti Bowling
Of course, the best kids' books will depend on your child's specific interests and reading level.