Named for its abundance of sabal palms, this seven-mile barrier island off the South Carolina coast is a classic beach community. In 1899, Dr. Joseph S. Lawrence dubbed the island the Isle of Palms to attract more tourists. Originally called Hunting Island by the Sewee Indians, the island was frequented mostly by hunters and fisherman. By the early 1900s, Isle of Palms was a popular resort. People came to visit the grand pavilion built by the Sottile family of Charleston and ride the giant Ferris wheel. Beachgoers enjoyed ...

Isle of Palms 2005, Arcadia Publishing (SC), Charleston, SC

ISBN-13: 9780738518022

Trade paperback

Select
Isle of Palms 2005, Arcadia Publishing Library Editions

ISBN-13: 9781531612283

Hardcover

Select