Crystal offers a straightforward, narrative account of language--its variety, history, and structure--to cover a broad range of information in a lively and visually appealing manner. Includes a glossary of more than 1,000 terms and a table of the world's languages. More than 350 illustrations and 30 maps.Crystal offers a straightforward, narrative account of language--its variety, history, and structure--to cover a broad range of information in a lively and visually appealing manner. Includes a glossary of more than 1,000 terms and a table of the world's languages. More than 350 illustrations and 30 maps.Read Less
New. Ex display stock, may have very minimal shelf edge wear to cover. Free expedited delivery and gift wrapping available; simply message us with your request. Expedited delivery 1-2 business days. Normal delivery 2-4 business days. Dispatched from Cheshire UK. Secure packaging. Airmail Internationally. Please see our feedback, buy with complete confidence and enjoy your book.
This is a good book about language. It tells us not only the origin of words, sentences structures about all language, but also how they enter into our daily use today. It is told in everyday language that every one can understand.
Jun 18, 2010
David Crystal is an empiracle leader
Professor Crystal occupies a unique position in the
study of the English Language. If not for the sheer
number of books written he is a beacon which all
students must look to.
May 7, 2009
This book is must for people who are interested in their language. Informative and exciting, teaching many interesting and knowledgeable things about language.
Mar 23, 2009
Enciclopedia del Lenguaje de Cambridge
En la Enciclopedia del Lenguaje de la Universidad de Cambridge, David Crystal, refiriendose a las distintas disciplinas implicadas en el analisis del discurso, en las llamadas ciencias humanas y sociales, ofrece una lista de 15 campos interdisciplinares, en los cuales los saberes linguisticos se articulan con los de otras disciplinas:
1) Antropologia linguistica (siglo XX) (Duranti)
2) Sociologia (1950) (Goffman)
3) Psicolinguistica (1980) (Luria & Vigotsky)
4) Filosofia del lenguaje (1953) (Wittgenstein)
5) Etnografia de la comunicacion (1960) (Gumperz & Hymes)
6) Etnometodologia (Garfinkel)
7) Interaccionismo simbolico (Goffman)
8) Analisis de la conversacion (Sacks, Schegloff & Jefferson)
9) Sociolinguistica interaccional (Bourdieu & Foucault)
10) Pragmatica (Austin & Searle)
11) Linguistica funcional (Jakobson, Circulo de Praga & Halliday)
12) Linguistica textual (Teun van Dijk)
13) Teoria de la enunciacion (Bajtin)
14) Principio de cooperacion (Grice)
15) Teoria de la relevancia o pertinencia (Sperber & Wilson)
May 10, 2007
A superb compendium of useful information about language. Crisp, brief writing with attractive presentation of facts. Many information boxes with succinct summaries and capsules on a variety of topics. Valuable source of reference for many years.
Copyright in bibliographic data and cover images is held by Nielsen Book Services Limited, Baker & Taylor, Inc., or by their respective licensors, or by the publishers, or by their respective licensors. For personal use only. All rights reserved. All rights in images of books or other publications are reserved by the original copyright holders.