This cutting-edge guide to capitalizing on these revolutionary principles is a counterintuitive approach that works for new- and old-economy ...Show synopsisThis cutting-edge guide to capitalizing on these revolutionary principles is a counterintuitive approach that works for new- and old-economy companies alike, "Slack" debunks commonly held assumptions about personnel management and replaces them with an innovative model for true effectiveness--and a healthier bottom line.Hide synopsis
Description:New. BRAND NEW ITEM! 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Tracking...New. BRAND NEW ITEM! 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Tracking provided on most orders. Buy with Confidence! Millions of items sold! .
Not simply for executives but for managers of all levels. Argues that slack is essential to an organizations agility, to retain key personnel, ability to invest in the future, and capacity for sensible risk taking instead of risk avoidance.
Part One: SLACK
1. Madmen in the Halls
3. The Myth of Fungible Resource
4. When "Hurry Up" Really Means "Slow Down"
5. Managing Eve
6. Business Instead of Busyness
Part Two: LOST, BUT MAKING GOOD TIME
7. The Cost of Pressure
8. Aggressive Schedules
10. A Little Sleight of Hand in the Accounting Department
11. Power Sweeper
12. The Second Law of Bad Management
13. Culture of Fear
15. Process Obsession
17. Efficient and/or Effective
18. Management by Objectives
Part Three: CHANGE AND GROWTH
20. Leadership and "Leadership"
21. Dilbert Reconsidered
22. Fear and Safety
23. Trust and Trustworthiness
24. Timing of Change
25. What Middle Management Is There For
26. Where Learning Happens
27. Danger in the White Space
28. Change Management
Part Four: RISK AND RISK MANAGEMENT
29. Uncommon Sense
30. Risk Management: The Minimal Prescription
31. Working at Breakneck Speed
32. Learning to Live with Risk
33. The Needle in the Haystack
Copyright in bibliographic data and cover images is held by Nielsen Book Services Limited, Baker & Taylor, Inc., or by their respective licensors, or by the publishers, or by their respective licensors. For personal use only. All rights reserved. All rights in images of books or other publications are reserved by the original copyright holders.
You're signed up (and we ♥ you). Watch for our Welcome e-mail and your first coupon. Thanks!