This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1902 edition. Excerpt: ...was tendered, November 6th, to Washington as a meeting place, but owing to the abatement of the disease Congress assembled in ...
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1902 edition. Excerpt: ...was tendered, November 6th, to Washington as a meeting place, but owing to the abatement of the disease Congress assembled in Philadelphia December 2d. In 1798, when yellow fever again drove the citizens of Philadelphia to the suburbs and country, the Academy building was occupied by the Banks of North America and of Pennsylvania. Elizabeth Drinker, who was then in Germantown, writes in her Journal: " September 4 (1798). The Bank of Pennsylvania was this afternoon removed from Philadelphia, where it has lately been robbed of a considerable amount, to the school house in this town, escorted by McPherson's Blues. " September 5. Germantown is like a beehive--the people swarm. About two o'clock, four wagons loaded with the cash, &c., from the Bank of North America arrived here guarded by the Light-horse men. They are also deposited in the same school house where the contents of ye other was yesterday lodged. This draws great numbers to this place. Fifteen or twenty people are guarding ye Banks." No. f506 Main Street, now modernized with a Mansard roof, was occupied during one of the yellow fever visitations by the officers of the State government, Governor Muffin and Alexander J. Dallas, Secretary of the Commonwealth, having their offices here. When the building next south was torn down to make way for the addition to the Germantown National Bank, a doorway was disclosed, indicating that there was a connection between the two buildings. Built in the wall of the rear building of this house is the head of an Indian made of some dark stone. It may be seen from the alleyway just north of the next house. Its origin and history are unknown, although there is a tradition that it was unearthed when the foundations of the house were dug. Nos. 5516-518--5320...
Good. NOT ex-library. Severe edgewear & bumping & rubbing. Top and bottom 1/4" of spine worn away. No dust jacket. All items shipped within 2 business days and guaranteed. Proceeds benefit the Pima County Public Library, serving the greater Tucson area.
VG. No Jacket. Local Philadelphia history; Digest sized hard cover bound in brown quarter cloth and brown paper boards, sans DW, with title plate on front panel; wear to spine ends and corners; previous owners book plate on front paste down; pencil marginalia; black & white illustrations; 156pp.
Alibris, the Alibris logo, and Alibris.com are registered trademarks of Alibris, Inc.
Copyright in bibliographic data and cover images is held by Nielsen Book Services Limited, Baker & Taylor, Inc., or by their respective licensors, or by the publishers, or by their respective licensors. For personal use only. All rights reserved. All rights in images of books or other publications are reserved by the original copyright holders.