This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1874 edition. Excerpt: ... admirable classical style for which he was so distinguished. A tablet to his own memory is placed in the chancel. Dr. Parr ...
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1874 edition. Excerpt: ... admirable classical style for which he was so distinguished. A tablet to his own memory is placed in the chancel. Dr. Parr was born in 1746 at Harrowon- the-Hill, and died here in 1825. On the way to Hatton from Warwick, about two miles from the latter place, the tourist passes on his right the County Lunatic Asylum, an extensive and elegant structure in the Tudor style . It was erected at a cost of 50,000. It has a frontage of 700 feet, and can accommodate from 300 to 400 patients. About a mile south from the Hatton station are the small remains of Pinky Abbey, a Benedictine nunnery, founded shortly after the Conquest. Wroxhall Abbey is three miles from Hatton, and six from Warwick, on the Birmingham road . Dugdale tells a romantic legend regarding its foundation. Hugh de Hatton, who held the lordships of Hatton and Wroxhall from Henry, Earl of Warwick, was taken prisoner in the Holy Land, where he had been serving against the infidels, and confined there for seven years. The good knight at length bethought himself of his patron saint St. Leonard, who appeared to him in a vision, and after making him vow to erect a house of St. Benedict, transported him miraculously to Wroxhall woods, not far from his own house. He fulfilled his vow by erecting a nunnery here, and making two of his daughters become nuns. At the Dissolution the abbey and its possessions were granted to Eobert Burgoyne, who erected a mansion on its site. This mansion is in the form of a quadrangle, the western front of which was raised from its foundation by Eobert Burgoyne, and the southern and eastern sides adapted from the remains of the previous building. The north side is occupied by the church or chapel, which seems to have been originally part of the..."
Alibris, the Alibris logo, and Alibris.com are registered trademarks of Alibris, Inc.
Copyright in bibliographic data and cover images is held by Nielsen Book Services Limited, Baker & Taylor, Inc., or by their respective licensors, or by the publishers, or by their respective licensors. For personal use only. All rights reserved. All rights in images of books or other publications are reserved by the original copyright holders.