ISBN: 1165535246 / ISBN-13: 9781165535248
The Journal of Jacob Fowler; Narrating an Adventure from Arkansas Through the Indian Territory, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, and New Mexico, to the Sources of Rio Grande del Norte, 1821-22
by Jacob Fowler
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) ... Show synopsis This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1898 edition. Excerpt: ... I 175 $33 75 the Hole amting thirty three dollrs Which Each man Has to act [account] With Conl glann for What He purchased-- the timber on this fork is mostly Cotten Wood Some Boxelder and Some Small Black locust--the Bottoms are fine and large--With great droves of Elk and Buffelow and Sign of more of the White Bare--there are all So Wild Horses deer and Caberey the trees on the main River are Small but Some of those on the fork are large Enof to mak a Connue-- the Watter In the fork is Sofecient to turn a large BENT S SEVERAL FORTS NOTED. 47 Sett [of] mills at this dry Season and Heare is timber for a Small Settlement--Stone In the Bluffs are In abondance for Building and fenceing--after Settleing all things We moved up the River South 73 West 12 miles 58 to a Small Bottom Covered With trees--on the South Side of the River--Haveing pased one M Vicinity of Robinson, about on the boundary between Bent and Otero counties, and near the site of Bent's fort, which was a noted place for many years. See Pike, ed. of 1895, pp. 446, 447, and to authorities there cited for description add Farnham, Travels, 1843, chap, iv, beginning p. 34. Fort William was an alternative name of the same establishment--so called after one of the Canadian-French Bent brothers, who were William, George, Robert, and Charles. In 1826 three of them, with Ceran St. Vrain, built a rude stockade on the N. bank of the Arkansaw above Pueblo--perhaps halfway up to Canon City. In 1828 they moved down below Pueblo, and began the erection of the permanent structure called Fort William, which was long better known as Bent's " old" Fort. It existed till 1852, when Col. Wm. Bent destroyed it with fire and gunpowder. He immediately selected a new site lower down the Arkansaw, on...