Vg in rubbed dw. Colonial & Other Wars-The American Civil War Fort Smith was originally constructed in 1817 by Major William Bradford, its mission being to prevent war between the Osages and Cherokees. It was repeatedly abandoned and reoccupied, being used in the "White Lightnin' Wars"-the struggle against bootleggers selling liquor to the Indians. Confederate Armies were supplied from the Fort during the Civil War until it fell to Federal Forces in 1863. It later became a Federal Court under "Hanging Judge" Issac Parker. UL-XXXXXX. 349pp, 16 illustrations, 3 maps, bibliography, index.